We were getting down to the wire a couple of days ago while waiting for payday, and I wasn’t quite sure what to make for dinner. I started digging around in the fridge and pantry, and came up with a few ingredients I knew I could work with. The following recipe was what I came up with, and it was “YUM-O!” as Rachael Ray would say! Very financially friendly, so I wanted to share it with you. I hope you enjoy it!
Rice w/Pork Gravy
- 1 lb. pork stew meat (I used lean pork loin, cut into chunks)
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 large green bell pepper, diced
- 1 can beef stock (normal size)
- 1 can non-fat evaporated milk
- 1 pkg. cream cheese
- ½ cup dry red wine
- 2 Tbsp. minced garlic
- 2 Tbsp. flour (for thickening)
- Montreal Steak Seasoning
- Red pepper flakes
- EVOO (Extra Virgin Olive Oil)
- Melt cream cheese and ½ of beef stock in a small bowl in the microwave. Stir every minute or so until cheese is melted and no lumps remain.
- Heat up a small amount of EVOO into a deep skillet and add garlic. Brown lightly, and then add onions and meat.
- Brown meat lightly, then stir in wine. Reduce down to burn off alcohol, then sprinkle the flour over the top and stir well to use as a thickening agent.
- Add in your cream cheese mixture, evaporated milk, and remaining beef stock. Season to your personal taste. (I used Montreal Steak Seasoning and red pepper flakes. )
- Stir well and reduce heat to low. Simmer approximately 10 minutes, and serve over rice.
You can use regular rice with this meal, or long grain wild rice. You can also substitute any other lean meat if you do not eat pork.
This meal cost approximately $7-$8 to make, and will feed 4 adults with plenty left over for lunch the next day. That comes out to about $1.75 per serving!