I decided to try something new the other day and made myself a hot salad. This isn’t something I have ever done before, but have been thinking about experimenting with. Kind of like cold soups; I have never yet tried one, but I am interested to see what they are like.
It was lunch time, and I wasn’t in the mood for a sandwich, but didn’t really want to spend a bunch of time cooking anything either. I started digging through my cupboards to see what types of ingredients I had on hand that I could throw together quickly. Here is what I ended up with. Hope you like it! :)
- Dole Gold Pineapple Chunks in 100% pineapple juice, drained – set juice aside
- Cashews (amount depends on preference)
- 1 large stalk celery, chopped
- 1 tsp. low sodium soy sauce
- 1 tsp. sesame oil
- Juice from can of pineapple
- Place pineapple and 1/2 of the pineapple juice in small skillet and heat thoroughly on medium-high heat.
- Add in celery and cashews and reduce the pineapple juice down until it evaporates completely. (you can turn up the heat a bit if you want to in order to quicken this process)
- Allow the pineapple and cashews to begin to brown. Stir constantly to keep them from sticking too much to the bottom of the pan. A little bit of stickiness is good! :)
- Add just enough pineapple juice to remove anything that is stuck to the pan, and then add in your soy sauce and sesame oil.
- Heat for a couple of minutes to caramelize and to make sure the oil and soy sauce are well blended, then remove from heat and serve.
This recipe was so quick, so easy, and tasted soooo good! I know it isn’t actually grilled, but the taste of it reminded me of what pineapple tastes like when you throw it out on the bbq grill. :)
I am truly enjoying learning how to create new and healthy meals. If you have any healthy meals you would like to share, please leave me a comment with your link!
Until next time,